20 years ago: 1999
Onamia schools held a referendum vote on whether the school could pursue funding a needed facilities expansion. A letter outlining the Mille Lacs Band intent to acquire trust land to build a community center in Isle was presented to the Mille Lacs County board. The Onamia Alliance Church celebrated its 25th anniversary.
30 years ago: 1989
A contest was run to name the Crystal Carnival’s polar bear mascot. The Mille Lacs Indian Museum hosted their seventh annual Cultural Festival highlighting Ojibwe traditions. The Five County Mental Health Center based in Braham opened a satellite office in Cambridge.
40 years ago: 1979
Onamia High tenth-grader Sue Leikvoll was crowned Garrison Walleye Queen. Over 1,000 trappers attended a the Minnesota Trappers Association convention at the Rum River Village in Onamia. The fishing trip of Daune Betkar, Onamia, and Larry Bollig, Ham Lake, were featured in Ron Schara’s Mineapolis Tribune column.
50 years ago: 1969
Louis Nelson purchased the old Lakeside Bank building and began a facelift to turn it into an Isle Sears Store. The ruffled grouse population was showing the second highest numbers since 1952. “Guns of the Magnificent Seven,” starring George Kennedy, was play at the Rialto Theatre in Aitkin.
60 years ago: 1959
Marjorie Pomeroy assumed the position of director at the new East Central Library headquarters in Cambridge. A rabid dog died in Isle, and a rabies warning was issued for the area. For the second time within a year, fire destroyed the home of the Eugene Erickson family; there was no insurance believed to be involved.
70 years ago: 1949
Due to overcrowding at the Isle school, upper grade elementary students were to be sent to Wahkon. Raymond Edgren won the pure bred calf award at the Mille Lacs County Fair. A new case of polio was reported in Mille Lacs County. The Wood family held their reunion south of Hillman.