20 years ago: 1999
The Mille Lacs County Board closed a meeting to discuss potentially imminent litigation regarding the reservation boundary issue. Thousands of dead tulibees washed up on Mille Lacs’ south shore following high water temperatures. Isle Elementary principal Wayne LePard resigned.
30 years ago: 1989
Brainerd Community College and Staple Technical Institute offered post-secondary classes in the Onamia area. The Garrison Commercial Club decided at their meeting to participate in the 1990 Crystal Carnival on Mille Lacs. Lynnette Boyd, OHS senior, attended a seminar on world affairs at the University of Wisconsin in Whitewater.
40 years ago: 1979
Due to faults found by the Minnesota Department of Corrections, the Mille Lacs County Jail was put on 90 days of probation. The Onamia recreation program went to a Twins game as part of their knit-hole day. Forest tent caterpillars were active in Morrison County.
50 years ago: 1969
Dr. Clyde B. Harvey, from Mississippi, began practicing at Community Mercy Hospital. Joe Fladebo was appointed to the Isle village council following councilor Robert Peterson moving from the area. The Opti-missus Club was selling cement blocks toward the construction of a new city park bath house.
60 years ago: 1959
Mr. and Mrs. Harry Ayers, owners of the Trading Post in Vineland, made a new museum project possible through a donation to the Minnesota Historical Society. “At War with the Army,” starring Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis, was playing at the Arrowhead Theatre in Onamia.
70 years ago: 1949
Leonard Paulson, American Red Cross chairman, presided over annual Red Cross meeting. An 80th birthday celebration was had for John Fredin at Father Hennepin State Park, drawing a large group of family and friends. A recruiting officer for the army and air force was scheduled to be in Isle.