Currently one out of three individuals have pre-diabetes–but 9 out of 10 times people don’t know it. Pre-diabetes involves blood sugar levels that are higher than normal, but not yet high enough to be diabetes. An individual with pre-diabetes can delay or prevent type 2 diabetes by making simple lifestyle changes. Diet and moderate exercise resulting in a 5-7 percent weight loss (usually about 10 -15 pounds) often work to bring blood sugar levels back down to a healthy range.
The Lifestyle Change Class is a National Diabetes Prevention Program that offers diabetes prevention education and support for people with pre-diabetes. Participants learn how to create a healthier lifestyle and prevent diabetes in a 22-session diabetes prevention program.
Groups meet with a trained instructor to help participants lose weight, eat healthier and increase physical activity. Groups meet for 16 sessions over a six-month period, and attend six monthly follow-up sessions for the remainder of the year. Each session is one-hour long.
• Session 1 Welcome and Getting Started
• Session 2 Be a Fat and Calorie Detective
• Session 3 Ways to Eat Less Fat and Fewer Calories
• Session 4 Healthy Eating
• Session 5 Move Those Muscles
• Session 6 Being Active: A Way of Life
• Session 7 Tip the Calorie Balance
• Session 8 Take Charge of What’s Around You
• Session 9 Problem Solving
• Session 10 Four Keys to Healthy Eating Out
• Session 11 Talk Back to Negative Thoughts
• Session 12 The Slippery Slope of Lifestyle Change
• Session 13 Jump Start Your Activity Plan
• Session 14 Make Social Cues Work for You
• Session 15 You Can Manage Stress
• Session 16 Ways to Stay Motivated
Through Crow Wing Energized, the Lifestyle Change Class is offered at no charge to local residents. Please register online at www.crowwingenergized.org/events.
Free Lifestyle Change Program
Essentia Health-St Joseph Medical Center
523 N 3rd St, Brainerd 56401
Starting Nov. 19 - Nov. 26, 2019 | 5:15 – 6:15 p.m.
TO REGISTER: http://crowwingenergized.org/events/
FEE: No Charge ($429 value).
For more information, contact Kara Schaefer Kara.Schaefer@EssentiaHealth.org or call (218) 454-5901.